Say Brother; Cost of a Facelift
Part of Say Brother.
More material may be available from this program at the WGBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- Say Brother
- Cost of a Facelift
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program focuses on the construction work underway in the South End of Boston necessary to replacing a combined sewage system. In documentary-style format, Barbara Barrow-Murray speaks with Richard Garver (Deputy Director of Community Development for Boston's Redevelopment Authority), Joseph Thompson (a South End mechanic), Matt Currie (engineer and supervisor of the South End project), and people in the South End neighborhood, about the frustrations faced by residents as a result of the construction, the long-range plan for completing the renewal project, the extent of the project and its proposed benefits, the impact of construction on local business, and the initiation of surface revitalization. Program includes a rebroadcast of a portion of a musical performance by Solar Visions that originally aired 8/3/1979 (Program 927).
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Urban renewal
- Garver, Richard
- Currie, Matt
- Boston Redevelopment Authority
- City planning and the press
- Race and Ethnicity
- Clarke, Brian (Director)
- Deare, Beth (Associate Producer)
- Barbara Barrow-Murray (Producer)
- Wong, Evelyn (Production Assistant)
- Harriston, Renee (Intern)
- Demers, Leo (Videotape Recordist)
- Fairweather, Bill (Video)
- Morton, Wil (Audio)
- Smith, Lee (Camera)
- Melendez, Celenia (Intern)
- Lewis, Webster (Theme Music)
- Merhar, Milan (Videotape Recordist)
- Ehrman, Sally (Production Secretary)
- Pugliesi, Joe (Audio)
- Hill, Rebecca (Fashion Consultant)
- Carey, Nancy (Intern)
- Mackles, Gene (Graphic Designer)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Cost of a Facelift,” 10/06/1979, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 23, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3AF572F1ADA248D0AED6BEF206392CEA.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Cost of a Facelift.” 10/06/1979. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 23, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3AF572F1ADA248D0AED6BEF206392CEA>.
- APA: Say Brother; Cost of a Facelift. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3AF572F1ADA248D0AED6BEF206392CEA