New Television; New Television, Episode 406; My Puberty
Part of New Television Workshop.
Writer and director Ilene Segalove plays herself in this dramatization of puberty. As "Little Ilene," she soaks up her Uncle Harry's cliches about womanhood, while downing ribs at a family barbecue, surrounded by Wonderbread and Velveeta cheese packages. She attempts to buy a bra, and after seeing "Gidget Goes Hawaiian," begins to experience longing for boys. She outlines a rapid succession of crushes on boys (played by actual youngsters). The work evokes the period of the early sixties with brightly colored sets. Vibrant period costumes, designed by Leone Webster, add to the overall themes and moods of the work. Approximate date: 1987
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- New Television
- New Television, Episode 406
- Program Number
- Series Description
"New Television" began as a local pilot production of WNET (New York) in 1986. In 1987, WGBH signed on as co-producer, and the shows were aired in Boston and New York. In 1988 and 1989, KCET (Los Angeles) and WETA (D.C.) became producers in association. In 1991, PBS picked up "New Television," and it was broadcast nationally. The following year, the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio, replaced WNET, WETA, and KCET as co-producer with WGBH. In 1993, WGBH ceased to be a co-producer for the series, and the "home base" moved to Connecticut Public Television (CPTV) in Hartford, CT.
"New Television" commissioned, produced, and acquired programming. In its early years, "New Television" broadcast works commissioned by The Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund. Increasingly, experimental films as well as video works were broadcast as a part of this series. Many of the later episodes of "New Television" contain works that play with and deconstruct the documentary genre. Series release date: 1986
- Program Description
Includes Lee Eiferman’s “Ena’s Adventures, Part II” and Ilene Segalove’s “My Puberty.”
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Segalove, Ilene, 1950-
- Film and Television
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “New Television; New Television, Episode 406; My Puberty,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 19, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2EA036EB6D824E5FB8F92C7E6F89D890.
- MLA: “New Television; New Television, Episode 406; My Puberty.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 19, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2EA036EB6D824E5FB8F92C7E6F89D890>.
- APA: New Television; New Television, Episode 406; My Puberty. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2EA036EB6D824E5FB8F92C7E6F89D890