Ten O'Clock News; Launching Central Artery project
"Ground breaking" ceremony for the Central Artery project (aka the Big Dig), where they used welding equipment to dismantle a bridge, rather than shovels to literally break ground. Interview with Public Works commissioner Jane Garvey on nature of the project and its funding. Michael Dukakis and William Bulger speak at the ceremony. At the same time, a public hearing is being held at the State House, where State Inspector General Joseph Baressi is trying to overhaul the way the state does business with consultant, which Baressi thinks is a problem with the Central Artery project. Following the edited story is b-roll of the construction site environs and the ceremony, as well as excerpts of Dukakis's speech, Bulger's speech, and other speakers.
- Ten O'Clock News
Launching Central Artery project
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Central Artery/Third Harbor Tunnel Project (Mass.)
- Bulger, William M.
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- von Mehren, Jan (Reporter)
- Bulger, William M. (Speaker)
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Launching Central Artery project,” 03/12/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 21, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2755B896276248B89609789E0D37A938.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Launching Central Artery project.” 03/12/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 21, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2755B896276248B89609789E0D37A938>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Launching Central Artery project. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2755B896276248B89609789E0D37A938