American Experience; Nixon; GI's hear Nixon ceasefire proposal, Ton Son Nhut
Part of The Vietnam Collection.
At Tan Son Nhut Air Base-US troops listen to Nixon speech on cease-fire. Few in air field scene-jets taxi with rockets-guy cleaning plane. Close-up, Zenith radio, NBC communicators voice introduces Nixon's "new peace initiative for Southeast Asia." Pan, close-ups, faces of men listening , serious, almost expressionless-a dramatic contrast to Nixon: "...new proposal for peace in IC-...possible because of remarkable success of Vietnamization program over last eighteen months...CU's of troops listening-continue as Nixon's voice is heard from radio: "...propose all armed forces throughout IC cease firing their weapons...this would mean a ceasefire in place...would not be an end to the conflict but...and end to the killing...I do not minimize the difficulty of maintaining a ceasefire in a guerrilla war ...but an unconventional war may require an unconventional truce...hope this will break the log jam in negotiations... all concerned must believe that the ceasefire will be maintained..." More pan, close-up, black faces-inscrutable. No sign of belief or relief. Nixon talks of reduction of troops in S.V. more pix than sound-see footage. [see also ABC_52157]
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- American Experience
- Program Number
GI's hear Nixon ceasefire proposal, Ton Son Nhut
- Series Description
Premiered October 1988 As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award. Series release date: 10/1988
- Program Description
In this three-hour presentation, Richard Nixon's life and political career are reassessed primarily by those who knew him best. The program chronicles his life from boyhood in Yorba Linda, California, through his days as a young Congressman to his presidency where he astounded the nation with his foreign policy initiatives and then left office in disgrace.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- United States--History, Military--20th century
- United States--History--1945-
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975
- Vietnam (Republic)
- United States--Armed Forces
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Mass media and the war
- United States--Politics and government
- Ton Son Nhut Airbase, South Vietnam
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994 (Speaker)
- Publication Information
- ABC News VideoSource
- Rights Summary
Footage courtesy of ABC News Rights Holder: ABC News VideoSource (http://abcnews.go.com)
- Chicago: “American Experience; Nixon; GI's hear Nixon ceasefire proposal, Ton Son Nhut,” 10/08/1970, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 19, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_218DFFA1594C422EAB9577E904509204.
- MLA: “American Experience; Nixon; GI's hear Nixon ceasefire proposal, Ton Son Nhut.” 10/08/1970. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 19, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_218DFFA1594C422EAB9577E904509204>.
- APA: American Experience; Nixon; GI's hear Nixon ceasefire proposal, Ton Son Nhut. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_218DFFA1594C422EAB9577E904509204