Eric in The Evening; Alan Dawson
Alan Dawson Interview Highlights Alan Dawson comments on his time with Lionel Hamptons band in Europe in 1953 that included such great musicians as Clifford Brown, Gigi Gryce, Monk Montgomery and Quincy Jones. His earliest jazz recordings during that time. Dawson comments on Monk Montgomerys virtuosity as the first bass player to use the fender electric bass. Alan Dawson comments on performing in the 1959 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival with Jaki Byard as musical director. Alan Dawson comments on his being influenced by Papa Joe Jones, Max Roach and Roy Haynes. Alan Dawson comments on being Tony Williams teacher. Alan Dawson comments on the legacy of the contributions and influences of tap dancers on jazz drummers. (Editors note: This interview begins in the middle of a conversation Eric Jackson was having with Alan Dawson regarding an upcoming tribute to Alan that happened at Berklee Performance Center on June 15, 1994. Dawson is speaking about some of the musicians who will be performing at the tribute.) Summary and select metadata for this record was submitted by Leonard Brown. Beginning in 1969, Eric Jackson hosted multiple jazz radio shows airing from various Boston based radio stations. He moved to WGBH in 1977 as host for Artists in the Night. In 1981, Eric created his own show, Eric in the Evening, which now airs on WGBH radio.
- Eric in The Evening
- Alan Dawson
- Series Description
Eric in the Evening debuted in 1981 with host Eric Jackson, a Boston jazz radio legend. The program features the best in jazz, in-depth looks at great artists, live interviews, and performances from the WGBH studios. Jackson's personal, mellow manner of presentation quickly made him one of WGBH's most popular personalities, interviewing and hosting live performances with a rich roster of talent from Wynton Marsalis to Ornette Coleman to Dizzy Gillespie.
In 2012 Eric Jackson received the Duke Dubois Humanitarian Award from JazzWeek, a recognition of his commitment to jazz, jazz radio, jazz education and generous service to the jazz community. Series release date: 1981
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Music Industry
- Jackson, Eric
- Jazz Musicians
- Dawson, Alan, 1929-1996
- Jazz Radio Programs
- Jackson, Eric (Interviewer)
- Dawson, Alan, 1929-1996 (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Eric in The Evening; Alan Dawson,” 06/08/1994, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 18, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_7F439D25558C4ED3915E64E035319D51.
- MLA: “Eric in The Evening; Alan Dawson.” 06/08/1994. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 18, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_7F439D25558C4ED3915E64E035319D51>.
- APA: Eric in The Evening; Alan Dawson. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_7F439D25558C4ED3915E64E035319D51