Stay Out For Freedom; Pre-Boycott Report
Report on School Committee Meeting of June 14, 1963 on boycott to be held on Friday. In early June 1963, the Education Committee of the N.A.A.C.P. Boston Branch, led by Ruth Batson, unsuccessfully attempted to persuade the Boston School Committee to acknowledge de facto segregation in the Boston Public Schools. Concurrently, community organizations scheduled a boycott of the public schools to dramatize the inequalities of predominantly Negro schools. The Pre-Boycott Report radio segment, reports on the Boston School Committee June 14th meeting with the principals of the Boston Schools to discuss the criticisms of the N.A.A.C.P. In this segment, reporters also question members of the Boston School Committee about the meeting and the forthcoming boycott. School Committee member Louise Day Hicks and others provide their perspectives on the problems and solutions regarding predominantly Negro schools and the inappropriateness of the boycott. It also includes a brief statement by Ruth Batson regarding residential segregation. Summary and select metadata for this record was submitted by Audrea Dunham.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Stay Out For Freedom
- Pre-Boycott Report
- Series Description
Radio series. Series release date: 1963
- Program Description
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African Americans-Southern Migration to the North
- Educational Issues-Education of Southern Migrants
- Stay Out for Freedom Day
- Educational Issues-Legality of School Boycott
- Race Relations-Housing Discrimination
- Freedom Schools
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Educational Issues-Disciplinary Problems
- Politics-National Association for the Advancement of Colored People/Boston School Committee Negotiations
- Politics-Law Enforcement by State Attorney General
- Race Relations-De facto Segregation
- Civil Rights Era
- Educational Issues-Social Services
- Social Issues
- Mascott, Ted (Producer)
- Hicks, Louise Day (Speaker)
- Batson, Ruth (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Stay Out For Freedom; Pre-Boycott Report,” 06/14/1963, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 24, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_13DE77960ED54E1A9EAE20BCFA4981A5.
- MLA: “Stay Out For Freedom; Pre-Boycott Report.” 06/14/1963. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 24, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_13DE77960ED54E1A9EAE20BCFA4981A5>.
- APA: Stay Out For Freedom; Pre-Boycott Report. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_13DE77960ED54E1A9EAE20BCFA4981A5