Ten O'Clock News; Coast Guard funding
David Boeri reports that Senator Edward Kennedy took a cruise on a Coast Guard boat to Little Brewster Island in Boston Harbor. Little Brewster Island is the site of a lighthouse that was repaired with funds procured by Kennedy from the federal government. Funding for the Coast Guard has been cut by the federal government, resulting in closed facilities and fewer patrols. Interview with Robert Johanson, Rear Admiral of the US Coast Guard, about the budget cuts. Kennedy and Jesse Jackson have called for a restoration of funds to the Coast Guard. Coast Guard patrols can stem the flow of drugs into the US. Jackson talks about the Coast Guard. Kennedy on Little Brewster Island.
- Ten O'Clock News
Coast Guard funding
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Drug traffic
- United States. Coast Guard
- Legislators -- United States
- Federal government
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- African American politicians
- Kennedy, Edward M. (Edward Moore), 1932-2009
- Boston Harbor (Mass.)
- News Report
- Boeri, David (Reporter)
- Kennedy, Edward M. (Edward Moore), 1932-2009 (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Coast Guard funding,” 05/04/1988, GBH Archives, accessed December 11, 2023, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C8C500A4636B45BBAC3ACB1602389EAB.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Coast Guard funding.” 05/04/1988. GBH Archives. Web. December 11, 2023. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C8C500A4636B45BBAC3ACB1602389EAB>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Coast Guard funding. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C8C500A4636B45BBAC3ACB1602389EAB