Ten O'Clock News; Eyes on the Prize preview
Marcus Jones reports on the civil rights documentary series, Eyes on the Prize. Jones notes that Eyes on the Prize is a six-part series documenting the first decade of the civil rights movement, using historical footage and first-hand accounts to tell the story. Jones interviews Henry Hampton (documentary filmmaker). Jones notes that Hampton's production company, Blackside Incorporated, produced the series. Hampton says that the civil rights movement is often overshadowed by the memory of Martin Luther King, Jr. Hampton says that Eyes on the Prize attempts to tell the stories of lesser-known civil rights activists. Hampton adds that the series is a testament to the power of ordinary people to effect great changes. Jones's report is accompanied by footage from Eyes on the Prize.
- Ten O'Clock News
Eyes on the Prize preview
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American women
- African Americans -- History
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968
- Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines), 1908-1973
- Hampton, Henry, 1940-1998
- African Americans -- Civil rights
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Hampton, Henry, 1940-1998 (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Eyes on the Prize preview,” 01/19/1987, GBH Archives, accessed November 30, 2023, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C52D5D349D864991B569892100DED6A5.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Eyes on the Prize preview.” 01/19/1987. GBH Archives. Web. November 30, 2023. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C52D5D349D864991B569892100DED6A5>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Eyes on the Prize preview. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C52D5D349D864991B569892100DED6A5