La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Gregory Rabassa
La Plaza MASTER - CLOSED CAPTIONED Program #2811 Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Gregory Rabassa Running Time: Closed Captioned Patricia Alvarado 617-300-2289 email@example.com WGBH, 125 Western Avenue, Boston, MA 02134
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at GBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- La Plaza
- Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Gregory Rabassa
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Hailed by critics and authors alike as the most important translator of 20th-century Latin American literature, Gregory Rabassa has translated more than three dozen books from Spanish and Portuguese into English — including works by Nobel laureates Gabriel García Márquez, Octavio Paz, and Miguel Angel Asturias. In this interview with Ilan Stavans, he talks about his relationship to languages and how he approaches literary translation.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Gregory Rabassa,” GBH Archives, accessed February 28, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8B2BE96E85424571A0DDEB79B2DF6269.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Gregory Rabassa.” GBH Archives. Web. February 28, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8B2BE96E85424571A0DDEB79B2DF6269>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Gregory Rabassa. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8B2BE96E85424571A0DDEB79B2DF6269