Ten O'Clock News; South Boston High violence
Marcus Jones reports that Ione Malloy (author and teacher) has written a book about the busing crisis in Boston called Southie Won't Go. Jones notes that Malloy was a teacher at South Boston High School during the busing crisis. He adds that Malloy's book is based on her notes and journal entries from that time. Jones interviews Malloy on the front steps of South Boston High School. Malloy says that she lived in constant fear for her safety during the busing crisis at South Boston High School. She recalls a tense staff meeting in the wake of the stabbing of a white student at the school in 1974. Malloy reads a journal entry written at the time of the stabbing. Malloy says that she wrote about the situation as she experienced it. Malloy adds that students were sacrificed in the name of social ideas during the busing crisis. Jones notes that Malloy does not state her opinions outright in her book. He adds that her point of view comes across through her journal entries. Jones' report is accompanied by footage of school desegregation at South Boston High School in the 1970s.
- Ten O'Clock News
South Boston High violence
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Busing for school integration
- Race relations
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; South Boston High violence,” 07/21/1986, GBH Archives, accessed January 24, 2022, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5149DA1753A040C089B59BDE43FA7AF7.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; South Boston High violence.” 07/21/1986. GBH Archives. Web. January 24, 2022. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5149DA1753A040C089B59BDE43FA7AF7>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; South Boston High violence. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5149DA1753A040C089B59BDE43FA7AF7