Ten O'Clock News; Ballot order determined
Michael Connolly (Massachusetts Secretary of State) draws names from a spinning drum to determine the order of the names of the Democratic presidential candidates on the Massachusetts primary ballot. State officials Thomas Fitzgerald, Paul Williams and others draw names. Jesse Jackson gets the top position on the ballot; Connolly comments on Jackson's popularity with voters. Connolly endorses Walter Mondale; says that press conference was organized in order to raise voter awareness and to promote voter registration. Connolly tells the press that he expects to run for the US Senate. Kate McGrath (WGBH reporter) stands outside of Connolly's office to report on Massachusetts Presidential primary elections.
- Ten O'Clock News
Ballot order determined
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1984
- Mondale, Walter F., 1928-
- Connolly, Michael Joseph, 1947-
- Voter registration
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Press conferences
- News Report
- McGrath, Kate (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Ballot order determined,” 01/12/1984, GBH Archives, accessed December 9, 2023, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3B70060EEB71446D898B0F7FBC87FEC9.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Ballot order determined.” 01/12/1984. GBH Archives. Web. December 9, 2023. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3B70060EEB71446D898B0F7FBC87FEC9>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Ballot order determined. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_3B70060EEB71446D898B0F7FBC87FEC9