Ten O'Clock News; Portrait of a working poor family
Meg Vaillancourt interviews Geneva Evans (working mother) and Jason Evans (son of Geneva Evans) in their home. Evans describes her experiences as a working mother. She says that she cannot support herself and her son on her salary. Evans explains that she is not allowed to work if she goes on welfare; that welfare benefits alone are not enough to live on, especially with the cost of health care. Evans says that she has not felt the effects of the economic recovery. She accuses Ronald Reagan of taking food from her son's mouth. Evans promises to vote against Reagan. She criticizes the government's policy of cutting welfare benefits for people who work part time. Geneva Evans and Jason Evans have a snack at their kitchen table. Jason tells Geneva about his day at school. Jason says that he hopes Walter Mondale will win the presidential election. Jason Evans and a girl walking outside of the Evans' apartment building.
- Ten O'Clock News
Portrait of a working poor family
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Reagan, Ronald
- Massachusetts -- Economic conditions
- Medical care
- Urban poor
- Welfare economics
- Mondale, Walter F., 1928-
- African American women
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Portrait of a working poor family,” 11/30/1983, GBH Archives, accessed January 27, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_332BEF890EEC4CCA92F616EA9DFF97F5.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Portrait of a working poor family.” 11/30/1983. GBH Archives. Web. January 27, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_332BEF890EEC4CCA92F616EA9DFF97F5>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Portrait of a working poor family. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_332BEF890EEC4CCA92F616EA9DFF97F5