American Experience; Nixon; Rap Brown interview, 1967
Part of The Vietnam Collection.
Rap Brown interview: "People recognize and poor people recognize first, what it takes to get the man off your back, what it takes to get freedom in America. America used violence to secure freedom and they used us every time in a war to participate in violence to ensure her freedom. And we learned well from America. Violence is a part of American culture and black folks are a part of America, so if we accept any part of your culture at this point, it will be your violent nature."
- American Experience
- Program Number
Rap Brown interview, 1967
- Series Description
Premiered October 1988 As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award. Series release date: 10/1988
- Program Description
In this three-hour presentation, Richard Nixon's life and political career are reassessed primarily by those who knew him best. The program chronicles his life from boyhood in Yorba Linda, California, through his days as a young Congressman to his presidency where he astounded the nation with his foreign policy initiatives and then left office in disgrace.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Protest movements--United States
- Al-Amin, Jamil, 1943-
- Washington (D.C.)
- Violence--United States
- African Americans
- Social conflict--United States
- New York (N.Y.)
- Washington, DC
- Al-Amin, Jamil, 1943- (Speaker)
- Publication Information
- ABC News VideoSource
- Rights Summary
Footage courtesy of ABC News Rights Holder: ABC News VideoSource (http://abcnews.go.com)
- Chicago: “American Experience; Nixon; Rap Brown interview, 1967,” 07/27/1967, GBH Archives, accessed September 22, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_03D5DED405A34655B45EA9CE936B8812.
- MLA: “American Experience; Nixon; Rap Brown interview, 1967.” 07/27/1967. GBH Archives. Web. September 22, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_03D5DED405A34655B45EA9CE936B8812>.
- APA: American Experience; Nixon; Rap Brown interview, 1967. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_03D5DED405A34655B45EA9CE936B8812