Ten O'Clock News; Jackie Robinson part 1
This tape features Marcus Jones's first report in a three-part series on the life of Jackie Robinson (baseball player) in honor of the fortieth anniversary of Robinson's entry into major league baseball. Jones reviews the history of African Americans in professional baseball. He notes that the Negro League was successful in the 1930s and 1940s. Jones reports that Robinson was one of three African American players to try out for the Boston Red Sox in the 1940s. Jones reports that Robinson was signed to the Brooklyn Dodgers as the first African American in major league baseball. Jones notes that Robinson encountered virulent racism and even received death threats. Jones reports that Robinson went on to become one of the greatest players of all time and was inducted to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962. Jones' report includes footage from interviews with Larry Whiteside (Boston Globe sportswriter), Clem Labine (former Brooklyn Dodger), Rachel Robinson (wife of Jackie Robinson), and Frank Robinson (Baltimore Orioles). Jones' report also features footage and photographs of Robinson and early African American baseball players. Jones' report is accompanied by footage from the films The Jackie Robinson Story and The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars. Tape 1 of 3
- Ten O'Clock News
Jackie Robinson part 1
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African Americans -- Civil rights
- Race relations
- Robinson, Jackie, 1919-1972
- Baseball players
- African Americans -- History
- African American athletes
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Jackie Robinson part 1,” 08/04/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 25, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FFABF2A56C164E6088E6683C5C67904F.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Jackie Robinson part 1.” 08/04/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 25, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FFABF2A56C164E6088E6683C5C67904F>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Jackie Robinson part 1. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FFABF2A56C164E6088E6683C5C67904F