Ten O'Clock News; Redlining
Meg Vaillancourt reports that the Federal Reserve Bank has released a study finding that banks in Boston are guilty of redlining. Vaillancourt notes that three times as many mortgages are approved in Boston's white neighborhoods as in African American neighborhoods. Vaillancourt reviews the findings of the study. Vaillancourt interviews African Americans on the street. They talk about their experiences in applying for mortgages. Vaillancourt reports that African Americans earn less than whites on average. She adds that these economic factors do not explain the gap in mortgage lending practices. Vaillancourt interviews Joseph Kennedy (US Congressman). Kennedy condemns redlining practices. He adds that banks should not practice discrimination, noting that many banks receive federal funds. Vaillancourt reports that Boston banks have agreed to change their lending practices. She adds that meetings between community activists and banks are scheduled for next month. Vaillancourt's report is accompanied by footage of employees and customers in banks and shots of residential homes.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Banks and banking
- Legislators -- United States
- Kennedy, Joseph P. (Joseph Patrick), 1952-
- Federal government
- Civil rights
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Kennedy, Joseph P. (Joseph Patrick), 1952- (Interviewee)
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Redlining,” 08/31/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FFA29A8451FC4A70A20287B930FEA3BF.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Redlining.” 08/31/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FFA29A8451FC4A70A20287B930FEA3BF>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Redlining. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FFA29A8451FC4A70A20287B930FEA3BF