La Plaza; 1992: The Rediscovery of America by the Warrior for Gringostroika
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- 1992: The Rediscovery of America by the Warrior for Gringostroika
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
experimental piece Guillermo Gomez Peña, a cutting-edge Latino performing artist and intellectual, reflects on the celebration of the “discovery” of America 500 years ago. His provocative performance questions how Latino identity is created, perceived, and distorted in maistream American culture. Complementing the performance is an interview in which he further reflects on the relationship between North American culture and “otherness”.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; 1992: The Rediscovery of America by the Warrior for Gringostroika,” 03/17/1992, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed March 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FE2A425ECE674C6199475D113AFCD10F.
- MLA: “La Plaza; 1992: The Rediscovery of America by the Warrior for Gringostroika.” 03/17/1992. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. March 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FE2A425ECE674C6199475D113AFCD10F>.
- APA: La Plaza; 1992: The Rediscovery of America by the Warrior for Gringostroika. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FE2A425ECE674C6199475D113AFCD10F