Ten O'Clock News; Bunte defends BHA
Meg Vaillancourt reports on discriminatory practices by the Boston Housing Authority (BHA). African American families are passed over on the waiting list for apartments in South Boston housing projects. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has ordered the BHA to stop this policy. Interview with Doris Bunte, director of the BHA. Bunte says that the BHA is not intentionally engaged in discrimination. Bunte adds that she concentrated on maintenance and repair of units when she took office and has now turned her attention to the fair housing issue. Bunte notes that she is concerned about the safety of non-white families in South Boston housing projects. Vaillancourt reviews previous efforts to desegregate public housing projects in Charlestown. She notes that the BHA must change its policy despite public resistance in South Boston.
- Ten O'Clock News
Bunte defends BHA
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- United States. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development
- Public housing
- Race relations
- Housing policy
- Boston Housing Authority
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Bunte defends BHA,” 01/15/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 24, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FDD76099F1B9499D870190B2C35203AB.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Bunte defends BHA.” 01/15/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 24, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FDD76099F1B9499D870190B2C35203AB>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Bunte defends BHA. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FDD76099F1B9499D870190B2C35203AB