Ten O'Clock News; Melvin King interview
Christopher Lydon interviews Mel King (candidate for mayor of Boston) in King's home. King talks about the benefits of growing up in a diverse neighborhood and about his own childhood in Boston. Lydon asks King about his philosophy of government. King says that the government must serve those who are most in need; he adds that the government should take an active role in issues of poverty, education, the environment, and women's issues. King talks about the interconnectedness of different issues and problems. Lydon asks whether there is an ideology behind King's politics. King says that he tries to take a realistic approach to government. King believes that love and change are the two fundamentals of life. Lydon asks how King rates himself as an administrator. King says that he is a good administrator who tries to identify problems and work together with people to find solutions. The tape includes shots of the exterior of King's home.
- Ten O'Clock News
Melvin King interview
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Municipal governments
- African American politicians
- King, Mel
- Civil rights
- Political campaigns
- South End (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Lydon, Christopher (Reporter)
- King, Mel (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Melvin King interview,” 11/07/1983, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FD08544564194DEBB1A31E877B6ECB81.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Melvin King interview.” 11/07/1983. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FD08544564194DEBB1A31E877B6ECB81>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Melvin King interview. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FD08544564194DEBB1A31E877B6ECB81