Ten O'Clock News; Tactical Patrol Force
Sounds cuts out in beginning. B-roll of police. Gary Griffith interviews Joseph Rowan (Deputy Superintendent, Boston Police Department) about the mission of the Tactical Patrol Force (TPF). Rowan responds to charges of police brutality by TPF in South Boston. Rowan says that the TPF responds to violence directed at them by residents; that complaints of brutality are fully investigated by the department. Griffith interviews three TPF officers: Kathy Fitzpatrick, William Johnston, and Val Williams. They answer questions about the TPF and deny charges of police brutality. Johnston says that the TPF is trying to keep the peace. Williams says that the TPF is called in to deal with difficult situations and that rumors of TPF behavior have been exaggerated. Fitzpatrick says that she performs the same duties as the male officers. Fitzpatrick says that city residents are venting their frustration on the TPF. The image cuts out for a section of the interview, and later cutaway footage shot, with reporter directing camera operator.
- Ten O'Clock News
Tactical Patrol Force
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Police women
- Boston (Mass.). Police Dept.
- Police brutality
- Police-community relations
- News Report
- Griffith, Gary (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Tactical Patrol Force,” 09/11/1975, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FCC16BBA681443D1A51079A1B4720EFF.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Tactical Patrol Force.” 09/11/1975. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FCC16BBA681443D1A51079A1B4720EFF>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Tactical Patrol Force. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FCC16BBA681443D1A51079A1B4720EFF