War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Varanasi, India and the Ganges River
Part of War and Peace in the Nuclear Age.
Night, early morning, and daytime shots of the Ganges and the ghats along the banks of the river. Boats at docks and being rowed. People washing clothes, bathing, and praying in the Ganges. People and donkeys on the steps of the ghats. Street scenes of Varanasi with buses, cars, many people on bicycles, and pedestrians. Store fronts and stalls. Outside of the city, shots of girls carrying baskets of crops on their heads, and boys herding livestock. Mother and child picking vegetables in a field.
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- War and Peace in the Nuclear Age
Varanasi, India and the Ganges River
- Series Description
The first atomic explosion in the New Mexico desert on July 16, 1945, changed the world forever. This series chronicles these changes and the history of a new era. It traces the development of nuclear weapons, the evolution of nuclear strategy, and the politics of a world with the power to destroy itself.
In thirteen one-hour programs that combine historic footage and recent interviews with key American, Soviet, and European participants, the nuclear age unfolds: the origin and evolution of nuclear weapons; the people of the past who have shaped the events of the present; the ideas and issues that political leaders, scientists, and the public at large must confront, and the prospects for the future. Nuclear Age highlights the profound changes in contemporary thinking imposed by the advent of nuclear weapons. Series release date: 1/1989
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Rites and ceremonies
- Global Affairs
- War and Conflict
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Varanasi, India and the Ganges River,” 02/20/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 24, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FAD5BE1CBF83458FBDF3086675ECD0D4.
- MLA: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Varanasi, India and the Ganges River.” 02/20/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 24, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FAD5BE1CBF83458FBDF3086675ECD0D4>.
- APA: War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Varanasi, India and the Ganges River. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FAD5BE1CBF83458FBDF3086675ECD0D4