Ten O'Clock News; Outside South Boston High
Outside South Boston High School. Buses arrive. Mostly black students exit school and board buses. Police cruisers and motorcycles stationed in front of school. Interview with headmaster Jerome Wynegar who says despite some trouble and a severe lack of students, classes will go on, and faculty will try to keep up morale. He says “…kids come here to learn, believe it or not.” Several takes of reporter standup.
- Ten O'Clock News
Outside South Boston High
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School attendance
- School buildings
- Busing for school integration
- African American students
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Cohen, Art (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Outside South Boston High,” 10/18/1979, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 23, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F5C5EEC69611476FB7EABB8243BDEC54.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Outside South Boston High.” 10/18/1979. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 23, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F5C5EEC69611476FB7EABB8243BDEC54>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Outside South Boston High. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F5C5EEC69611476FB7EABB8243BDEC54