Ten O'Clock News; Third world health care advice
Alexandra Marks reports that the infant mortality rate in Boston is higher than in many third-world countries. Marks interviews Dr. Ronald White of the Martha Eliot Health Care Center. White talks about the problems facing low-income populations in Boston. White talks about changes in US government policy that ended the link between health care policy and economic development policy. Marks interviews Dr. Rodrigo Guerrero, one of several experts from the developing world to visit Boston for a conference on the health care crisis. Guerrero explains that people's health is related to income and says that reducing poverty will improve people's health. White agrees with Guerrero's recommendations about attacking poverty. Marks reports that attendees at the conference recommended that the city of Boston levy a twenty-five cent tax on cigarettes to pay for new health care programs. Interview with Mayor Ray Flynn about the need for quality health care in the city. Marks' report also features footage of women and children at health clinics in Boston and footage from Frontline of Colombian cities and villages.
- Ten O'Clock News
Third world health care advice
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Infants -- Mortality
- Medical care
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Tobacco industry
- Urban poor
- Urban policy
- Public health
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Interviewee)
- Marks, Alexandra (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Third world health care advice,” 04/26/1991, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 7, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F3E1376656794036BB7E7D1818809F66.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Third world health care advice.” 04/26/1991. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 7, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F3E1376656794036BB7E7D1818809F66>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Third world health care advice. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F3E1376656794036BB7E7D1818809F66