Commanding Heights: The Battle For The World Economy; Promise And The Peril, The (2003)
Rebroadcast Version: Episode 5 , NOLA : COHE 105 K1 ; DVS mono mix on ch. 3
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Commanding Heights: The Battle For The World Economy
- Promise And The Peril, The (2003)
- Program Number
- Series Description
Filmed over the course of two years on five continents, COMMANDING HEIGHTS: THE BATTLE FOR THE WORLD ECONOMY is the first in-depth documentary that tells the inside story of our new global economy and what it means for individuals around the world. Narrated by David Ogden Stiers, explores the new reality, new rules, and new winners and losers in the battle between government and the marketplace; the great debate over globalization; and the powerful force shaping our future society and economy. Based on the best-selling book The Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy, co-authored by Pulitzer Prize-winner Daniel Yergin and Joseph Stanislaw.
The series is built around extraordinary interviews with world leaders and thinkers from twenty different countries—including former President Bill Clinton, Vice President Dick Cheney, former USSR President Mikhail Gorbachev, Mexican President Vicente Fox, Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, Singapore’s Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew, former Secretary of the Treasury Robert Rubin, and President George W. Bush’s Economic Advisor Lawrence Lindsey. Series release date: 4/2002
- Program Description
This episode examines the global economy in the 1990s, focusing on the story of President Bill Clinton's embrace of free trade. It confronts issues such as the impact of free trade on the developing world and on American workers, the sometimes perilous effects of globalized economies, how China is becoming the workshop of the world and how Japan is slipping behind.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Global Affairs
- Sullivan, Michael (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Commanding Heights: The Battle For The World Economy; Promise And The Peril, The (2003),” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 6, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F397BE20F57A4A53B147C71BFAEE3E8E.
- MLA: “Commanding Heights: The Battle For The World Economy; Promise And The Peril, The (2003).” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 6, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F397BE20F57A4A53B147C71BFAEE3E8E>.
- APA: Commanding Heights: The Battle For The World Economy; Promise And The Peril, The (2003). Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F397BE20F57A4A53B147C71BFAEE3E8E