American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Dennis Frye 4 of 6
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Frye talks about Raid - no one ate the food, feared it was poisoned, White Flag - sometimes means nothing in the 1850s, Raid - John Brown men kill Beckham, mob rule, mob kill Thompson, Raid - Layman surrenders but killed, used as target practice, Property - South thought John Brown thief, not Moses freeing people, Raid - Oliver Brown had been shot, Raid - Oliver dying, John Brown lectured "be a man", trapped, Raid - sons dying, John Brown not sympathetic, god knows best, Jeb Stuart - opens engine house, recognizes John Brown from Kansas, Lt. Green - appears in middle of room, Lt. Green - John Brown survives his sword, had God stopped it?, Lt. Green - failure to kill John Brown was turning point for John Brown, Martyr - John Brown willingly die doing God's work, live on as symbol, Martyr - had John Brown been killed in raid, would've been forgotten , Martyr - achieved success in last weeks, thru voice
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with historian Dennis Frye 4 of 6
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Frye, Dennis (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Dennis Frye 4 of 6,” 2000, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 8, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F336DDEEE3E642F5976BA7D9E2CDC4C6.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Dennis Frye 4 of 6.” 2000. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 8, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F336DDEEE3E642F5976BA7D9E2CDC4C6>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Dennis Frye 4 of 6. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F336DDEEE3E642F5976BA7D9E2CDC4C6