Ten O'Clock News; Contraceptives in schools / NAACP
Christopher Lydon reports on a controversy over the distribution of contraception in schools. Lydon notes that the Adolescent Issues Task Force of the Boston School Department has recommended that birth control be distributed to students as part of a comprehensive adolescent health program in the city's middle schools and high schools. Lydon's report includes footage of an NAACP press conference with Jack E. Robinson (President, Boston chapter of the NAACP), Joseph Casper (member, Boston School Committee), and Grace Romero (NAACP board member). Robinson and Casper condemn the proposal as racist. Robinson says that the initiative targets African American students. Lydon's report includes footage from interviews with Hubie Jones (member, Adolescent Issues Task Force), Dr. Howard Spivak (member Adolescent Issues Task Force) and Dr. Deborah Prothrow-Stith (Chairwoman, Adolescent Issues Task Force). Jones, Spivak and Prothrow-Stith defend the proposal. Spivak and Prothrow-Stith discuss statistics relating to teen pregnancy. Lydon's report also features interviews with students about teen pregnancy and footage of students in schools.
- Ten O'Clock News
Contraceptives in schools / NAACP
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Birth control
- Urban youth
- African American students
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Race relations
- School management and organization
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Lydon, Christopher (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Contraceptives in schools / NAACP,” 09/08/1986, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed November 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F2D1E681358945C4BE7DFD3063D28386.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Contraceptives in schools / NAACP.” 09/08/1986. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. November 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F2D1E681358945C4BE7DFD3063D28386>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Contraceptives in schools / NAACP. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F2D1E681358945C4BE7DFD3063D28386