American Experience; Nixon; Nixon departs Saigon speech, 1964
Part of The Vietnam Collection.
1. Nixon, medium close shot at microphones: "As I leave Saigon after brief visit... it would be unthinkable not to support the cause of freedom... United States forces, my evaluation is, they know why they are here. Morale is excellent. They are glad to be here and I think they're doing a fine job for the United States and for the cause of freedom." (45') _-_ 2. "The first issue is what the goal of the United States should be. I believe it should be nothing less than victory... (Wash administration)... on that issue there is agreement." (15')
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- American Experience
- Program Number
Nixon departs Saigon speech, 1964
- Series Description
Premiered October 1988 As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award. Series release date: 10/1988
- Program Description
In this three-hour presentation, Richard Nixon's life and political career are reassessed primarily by those who knew him best. The program chronicles his life from boyhood in Yorba Linda, California, through his days as a young Congressman to his presidency where he astounded the nation with his foreign policy initiatives and then left office in disgrace.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Vietnam (Republic)
- Press conferences
- United States. President (1963-1969 : Johnson)
- Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994
- United States--Armed Forces
- Military assistance, American
- Saigon, South Vietnam
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994 (Speaker)
- Publication Information
- ABC News VideoSource
- Rights Summary
Footage courtesy of ABC News Rights Holder: ABC News VideoSource (http://abcnews.go.com)
- Chicago: “American Experience; Nixon; Nixon departs Saigon speech, 1964,” 04/04/1964, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F102171689724AAB9740F3C1469D02AD.
- MLA: “American Experience; Nixon; Nixon departs Saigon speech, 1964.” 04/04/1964. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F102171689724AAB9740F3C1469D02AD>.
- APA: American Experience; Nixon; Nixon departs Saigon speech, 1964. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F102171689724AAB9740F3C1469D02AD