American Experience; Nixon; Hue - Anatomy of a killing
Part of The Vietnam Collection.
Family mourning death of son killed by GI. Incident exploited by students in anti-American movement. Family threatened by South Vietnamese government as a result and one uncle banished from area. US government gave money. _-_ 1. Family in mourning at home - candles, altar, Buddhist monks, many brothers and sisters in white. One weeping, stony-faced, stares straight at camera. Father crying loudly. Wall and painted sign: "AMERICANS GO HOME". Dog figure and "CHO SOI NIXON" _-_ Funeral scenes, hysterical father restrained by men. Coffin. (70' to 85867) _-_ 2. Good shots, crowded scenes at funeral. Woman praying, men struggle with father, local police watch. At home, father's grief-distorted face, by alter with photo of his eldest son. Individual close-ups, family faces, mother. Single candle flame. (65' to 85995) _-_ 3. Red sign painted on white washed wall: "SMASH DOWN THE AMERICAN ATTEMPT OF VIETNAMIZATION OF THE WAR." (20' to 86031) _-_ 4. Exteriors, signs and posters (election), one defaced. Pan into Thieu's face X'd. (10' to 86061) _-_ 5. More of local police and good funeral shots. Close-ups, old man carrying coffin. Colorful Buddhist official. (35')
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- American Experience
- Program Number
Hue - Anatomy of a killing
- Series Description
Premiered October 1988 As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award. Series release date: 10/1988
- Program Description
In this three-hour presentation, Richard Nixon's life and political career are reassessed primarily by those who knew him best. The program chronicles his life from boyhood in Yorba Linda, California, through his days as a young Congressman to his presidency where he astounded the nation with his foreign policy initiatives and then left office in disgrace.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Civilians in war
- War and family
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975
- Protest movements
- Buddhism--Customs and practices
- Altars, Buddhist
- Vietnam (Republic)
- Funeral rites and ceremonies
- Hue, Vietnam
- Publication Information
- ABC News VideoSource
- Rights Summary
Footage courtesy of ABC News Rights Holder: ABC News VideoSource (http://abcnews.go.com)
- Chicago: “American Experience; Nixon; Hue - Anatomy of a killing,” 09/18/1971, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 7, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_EF3E2EE077DA40209A2D1ACBDF43603F.
- MLA: “American Experience; Nixon; Hue - Anatomy of a killing.” 09/18/1971. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 7, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_EF3E2EE077DA40209A2D1ACBDF43603F>.
- APA: American Experience; Nixon; Hue - Anatomy of a killing. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_EF3E2EE077DA40209A2D1ACBDF43603F