Rockefeller Artists in Television; 9/23; Nam June Paik's 9/23
Part of New Television Workshop.
"9/23." is named after the day it was videotaped, 9/23/69. It showcases the effects of the Paik-Abe video synthesizer and manipulates "live" footage taped off a television monitor, pre-recorded footage, and images staged in the studio. These include images of well-known figures, the faces of Fred Barzyk and Olivia Tappan, and lit candles. This short sequence from "9/23." features Fred Barzyk. Approximate date: 1969
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Rockefeller Artists in Television
Nam June Paik's 9/23
- Series Description
The "Rockefeller Artists-in-Television" residency program was created to support artists working in television. It was funded by the Rockefeller Foundation from 1967 through 1970. It was replaced by "The WGBH Project for New Television." While some of the Rockefeller artists, such as Nam June Paik, were already very committed to the medium of video, others were coming to the medium for the first time or from a film background. Paik developed the Paik-Abe videosynthesizer, with Shuya Abe, while working as a Rockefeller artist (though additional funding for the synthesizer's construction was provided by WGBH). The device was used to generate special effects and color enhancements. Artists supported by this program included: Mary Feldhaus-Weber, Marie Cosindas, Lee Lockwood, Stan Vanderbeek, David Wheeler, Nam June Paik, Zone, Newton Wayland, Shoshana Dubiner, Theo Wolfe, Dick Bartlett, Tim Mayer, The Propositions, Tim Hunter, David Silver, and Jean Shepherd. Many of these artists worked collaboratively to create one or more works. Series release date: 1967
- Program Description
This piece is named after the day it was videotaped, 9/23/69. It showcases the effects of the Paik-Abe videosynthesizer and manipulates “live” footage taped off a television monitor, prerecorded footage, and images staged in the studio. These include images of well-known figures, the faces of Fred Barzyk and Olivia Tappan, and lit candles.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Video art
- Barzyk, Fred
- Paik, Nam June, 1932-2006
- Film and Television
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “Rockefeller Artists in Television; 9/23; Nam June Paik's 9/23,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ED979B008C13480AB3D6B17344249B83.
- MLA: “Rockefeller Artists in Television; 9/23; Nam June Paik's 9/23.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ED979B008C13480AB3D6B17344249B83>.
- APA: Rockefeller Artists in Television; 9/23; Nam June Paik's 9/23. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ED979B008C13480AB3D6B17344249B83