Mystery!; Inspector Morse, Series XII: The Wench Is Dead
Inspector Morse: The Wench is Dead
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Inspector Morse, Series XII: The Wench Is Dead
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered in 1980 -- offshoot of MASTERPIECE THEATRE. Showcase for the best of British drama in the mystery genre. Current producer, Rebecca Eaton. See individual episode titles for more information. Host: 1980: Gene Shalit; 1981-1989: Vincent Price; 1989-present: Diana Rigg Series release date: 1980
- Program Description
Broadcast April 1 and 8, 1999
Admitted to the hospital after a sudden collapse, Inspector Morse becomes engrossed in a book about the famous Oxford Canal murder case of 1859 -- in which a young woman's body was found floating in the channel -- and becomes convinced that two innocent men were hanged for the crime. With the help of young police recruit Adrian Kershaw, Morse begins an investigation from his sickbed and finds that history can be harder to crack than any crime.
Finally sprung from the hospital, Morse (John Thaw), with the help of young Kershaw (Matthew Finney), subjects the physical evidence from the 1859 Oxford Canal murder case to modern forensics tests, raising more questions about the true identity of the killer–and the dead woman. Morse's discovery of a clever, duplicitous plot leads him to an abandoned grave in Ireland, where he solves the riddle of the past–but questions remain about his own future. Will he retire from the force?
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Eaton, Rebecca (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Mystery!; Inspector Morse, Series XII: The Wench Is Dead,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 16, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ECFFABF9095B467F9F3DC9B8E2A5A0BE.
- MLA: “Mystery!; Inspector Morse, Series XII: The Wench Is Dead.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 16, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ECFFABF9095B467F9F3DC9B8E2A5A0BE>.
- APA: Mystery!; Inspector Morse, Series XII: The Wench Is Dead. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ECFFABF9095B467F9F3DC9B8E2A5A0BE