La Plaza; Vaquero: The Forgotten Cowboy
LP Program 1901: Vaquero: The Forgotten Cowboy
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Vaquero: The Forgotten Cowboy
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
The unsung hero of the American West - the Mexican-American vaquero, descendant of America's first cowboy
The unsung hero of the American West is the Mexican American “Vaquero”, literally translated as “cowboy” in the Spanish language. Today, there are only a handful of these descendant of America’s first cowboys since a rapidly changing industry has quickly made this lifestyle obsolete. Shot on location in South Texas, this documentary produced by Hector Galan pays tribute to a breed of men that history has overlooked as it focuses on the present days lives of the proud men who continue to trade from an era gone by.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Vaquero: The Forgotten Cowboy,” 12/31/1996, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 25, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E9BBDEEFD41240ADB30D54B60A67F0D8.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Vaquero: The Forgotten Cowboy.” 12/31/1996. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 25, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E9BBDEEFD41240ADB30D54B60A67F0D8>.
- APA: La Plaza; Vaquero: The Forgotten Cowboy. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E9BBDEEFD41240ADB30D54B60A67F0D8