La Plaza; Rumble Over West Side Story
dub from master
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Rumble Over West Side Story
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
La Plaza examines the ongoing controversy surrounding “West Side Story” more than forty years after its Broadway premiere. When a group of Latino parents and students at Amherst Regional High School force the cancellation of a school production of the famed musical, charges of censorship and racism divide the New England town—including the community’s Latinos.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Rumble Over West Side Story,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 23, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E8EEFEB4A39F496D9E08C440D5DF6EDD.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Rumble Over West Side Story.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 23, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E8EEFEB4A39F496D9E08C440D5DF6EDD>.
- APA: La Plaza; Rumble Over West Side Story. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E8EEFEB4A39F496D9E08C440D5DF6EDD