Ten O'Clock News; Ten years after court order
Review of the first few years of court ordered desgregation, including explosion of racism and violence, and the heavy police patrol required to keep things under control. Garrity is still in charge of the Boston schools. Although things are more quiet, and certain programs are working , like magnet schools, a high percentage of Boston students are still significantly under the national average. The Boston school system is also still overwhelmingly made up of minority students. Black parents propose ‘freedom of choice’ plan. Interviews with Robert Peterkin, Robert Spillane, and other officials. Classroom scenes of the current school system,highlighting Mildred Reed and her daughter Kim. They are Jamaica Plain residents, and Kim is bused to Brighton High School. Interview with Kim, where she talks about the benefits of being bused. Scenes of Kim getting on the bus, the bus ride, and in school.
- Ten O'Clock News
Ten years after court order
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School choice
- Magnet schools
- School integration
- School superintendents
- Busing for school integration
- Brighton (Boston, Mass.)
- Boston (Mass.)
- Jamaica Plain (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Ten years after court order,” 01/11/1984, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 24, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E7D7CB5021814522B9AF173A3591538B.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Ten years after court order.” 01/11/1984. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 24, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E7D7CB5021814522B9AF173A3591538B>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Ten years after court order. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E7D7CB5021814522B9AF173A3591538B