Ten O'Clock News; Jesse Jackson at MIT
Marcus Jones reports that anti-war activists protested across the nation to rally public opinion against the use of force in the Persian Gulf, including in downtown Boston. Jesse Jackson visited MIT to speak out against going to war in the Middle East on the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. Jones notes that the MIT Initiative for Peace in the Middle East brought Jackson to the campus. Jackson says that the US must not rush to war on January 15. Interviews with MIT graduate students Corrie Lathan and Steve Penn, who oppose the war. Interview with Jesse Jackson, who says that the US and Iraq should negotiate because war is inevitable if talking is impossible. Jones' report includes footage from Inside Edition of Jackson in Iraq. Following the edited story is additional b-roll of anti-war demonstrations and of Jackson at MIT talking about Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Ten O'Clock News
Jesse Jackson at MIT
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- International relations
- Peace movements
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Persian Gulf War, 1991
- Anti-war demonstrations
- Middle East -- Politics and government
- Cambridge (Mass.)
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941- (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Jesse Jackson at MIT,” 01/14/1991, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 19, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E6C9EFD38B744DD88A581C29152CF5EE.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Jesse Jackson at MIT.” 01/14/1991. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 19, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E6C9EFD38B744DD88A581C29152CF5EE>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Jesse Jackson at MIT. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E6C9EFD38B744DD88A581C29152CF5EE