Advocates; Should the president spend the money Congress appropriates?
Part of The Advocates.
Moderator: Michael Dukakis Advocate: Morris Udall Advocate: Charls Walker Witnesses: Sen. Hubert Humphrey (D) Minnesota Sen. Edmund Muskie (D) Maine Caspar Weinberger Secretary of HEW, Director of Budget 1972-73 Sen. William Roth (R ) Delaware
More material may be available from this program at the WGBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
- Should the president spend the money Congress appropriates?
- Program Number
- Series Description
A SERIES OF DEBATES with a moderator facilitating the discussion of national and international issues - using advocates who would introduce witnesses to support their point of view. Debates recorded at Boston's Faneuil Hall. Moderators included: Michael Dukakis; Marilyn Berger; Michael Harrington, Robert Maynard. (Premiered October, 1969; conceived by Prof. Roger Fisher.) Other participants included Barney Frank, Avi Nelson, Antonin Scalia, S.I. Hayakawa, Paul Simon, Albert Shankar, Richard Bolling, Pete McCloskey, Chester Crocker, John Anderson, Elmo Zumwalt, George Ball, John Kenneth Galbraith, William Colby, Eleanor Smeal, Phyllis Schlafly, Sam Ervin, Laurence Tribe, Daniel Schorr, Orrin Hatch, Morris Udall, Edward Kennedy, George McGovern, Jake Garn, Paul Tsongas, Alan Dershowitz. Series release date: 1969
- Program Description
Moderator: Michael Dukakis Advocate: Morris Udall Advocate: Charls Walker Witnesses: Sen. Hubert Humphrey – (D) Minnesota Sen. Edmund Muskie – (D) Maine Caspar Weinberger – Secretary of HEW, Director of Budget 1972-73 Sen. William Roth – (R ) Delaware Produced by WGBH at Departmental Auditorium, Washington DC. Bears WGBH copyright
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Muskie, Edmund S., 1914-1996
- Walker, Charls E. (Charls Edward), 1923-
- Roth, William V., 1921-2003
- Udall, Morris K.
- Humphrey, Hubert H. (Hubert Horatio), 1911-1978
- Weinberger, Caspar W.
- Washington, D.C.
- Public Affairs
- Social Issues
- Udall, Morris (Guest)
- Roth, William (Guest)
- Walker, Charls (Guest)
- Weinberger, Caspar (Guest)
- Humphrey, Hubert (Guest)
- Dukakis, Michael (Moderator)
- Muskie, Edmund (Guest)
- Publication Information
- Supported by a grant from the Open Society Foundations.
- Chicago: “Advocates; Should the president spend the money Congress appropriates?,” 02/15/1973, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 18, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E4F14AB259B54D858A6C756F26A088DD.
- MLA: “Advocates; Should the president spend the money Congress appropriates?.” 02/15/1973. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 18, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E4F14AB259B54D858A6C756F26A088DD>.
- APA: Advocates; Should the president spend the money Congress appropriates?. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E4F14AB259B54D858A6C756F26A088DD