New Television Workshop; Set and Reset, Version 1
Part of New Television Workshop.
RAUSCHENBERG FILM XFER: SET AND RESET BY TRISHA BROWN
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- New Television Workshop
- Set and Reset, Version 1
- Series Description
The New Television Workshop originated at WGBH in 1974 to support the creation and development of experimental video art. This experimental programming included dance, drama, music, performance and visual arts on video and film. As early as 1968, WGBH was committed to the development of video art through residency programs, with artists such as Nam June Paik. Many of these early works (pre-1974) were broadcast both locally and nationally. Fred Barzyk, a WGBH producer and director, was the Workshop's Executive Director from 1974 to 1982. Susan Dowling was Executive Director from 1982 to 1993. In 1993 the Workshop ceased production at WGBH. Major broadcast series created by the Workshop included "Artist's Showcase," "Frames of Reference," "Dance for Camera," "Poetry Breaks," and "New Television." Individual works were created for "Visions," a series produced by WNET (New York), and "Alive From Off Center," a series produced by KTCA (St. Paul - Minneapolis). The Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund was co-founded by the Workshop and Boston's Institute for Contemporary Art (ICA) in the 1980's, to commission works by video artists. Series release date: 1974
- Program Description
Features the work of a new generation of artists who are fusing the traditional arts of theater, music, and dance with the modern technology of TV. This will offer the first ongoing opportunity for TV audiences to experience the innovative videos being creating by the country's most adventurous artists. Often satirical, sometimes whimsical, and always offbeat, this is a visual tour de force. Susan Stamberg hosts.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Modern dance
- Dance--Production and direction
- Film and Television
- Dowling, Susan (Series Producer)
- Byrne, James ()
- Schick, Vicky ()
- Hultman, Irene ()
- Brown, Trisha, 1936- ()
- Anderson, Laurie, 1947- ()
- Warshaw, Randy ()
- Petronio, Stephen ()
- Madden, Diane ()
- Rauschenberg, Robert, 1925-2008 ()
- Karczag, Eva ()
- Chicago: “New Television Workshop; Set and Reset, Version 1,” 02/09/1983, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E479F32CFCC04ED98C4EE3E868F460EF.
- MLA: “New Television Workshop; Set and Reset, Version 1.” 02/09/1983. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E479F32CFCC04ED98C4EE3E868F460EF>.
- APA: New Television Workshop; Set and Reset, Version 1. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E479F32CFCC04ED98C4EE3E868F460EF