Ten O'Clock News; Mel King interview
Gail Harris interviews Mel King (candidate for mayor). King discusses his reasons for running for mayor and talks about the issues he considers most important to the city's residents. King answers questions about how he would deal with the city's leaders, the city's power brokers and "the Vault." King talks about the importance of education and training. Harris and King discuss the changes in King's image and manner of dress. King notes the diversity within the African American community; he dismisses the idea of any one candidate receiving 100% of the vote in the African American community. King gives his opinion of Mel Miller (publisher of the The Bay State Banner), who is opposed to King's candidacy. King says that there is no Boston neighborhood in which he feels uncomfortable. King and Harris discuss how to keep racial issues out of the campaign; Harris and King discuss his boycott of an earlier campaign debate because it excluded some candidates. King talks about his goals for the city as mayor. After the interview, while shooting cutaways, King tells Harris about his book, Chain of Change. King talks about his hobbies and about the importance of organizing and empowering people. King gives his opinion of Kevin White (Mayor, City of Boston).
- Ten O'Clock News
Mel King interview
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Urban policy
- Political campaigns
- African American politicians
- Race relations
- Municipal government
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- King, Mel
- Urban poor
- News Report
- King, Mel (Interviewee)
- Harris, Gail (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Mel King interview,” 09/19/1983, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 21, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E3C2EDBA836B41619ECE1C4B08C9B780.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Mel King interview.” 09/19/1983. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 21, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E3C2EDBA836B41619ECE1C4B08C9B780>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Mel King interview. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E3C2EDBA836B41619ECE1C4B08C9B780