Simply Ming; Cooking on the Fly: Peranakan Cooking
Simply Ming Singapore - Shermay Lee Peranakan Cooking
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Simply Ming
- Cooking on the Fly: Peranakan Cooking
- Program Number
- Series Description
Ironically, Americans tend to complicate their lives in an effort to simplify them. In SIMPLY MING, chef Ming Tsai helps make the yearning for a more manageable lifestyle a reality. Tsai, experienced in classical French, new American and Pan-Asian cuisine, first introduced viewers to his unique blend of global culinary traditions in his Food Network series, East Meets West With Ming Tsai. In this new series for public television, Tsai provides a repertoire of very simple recipes which viewers can integrate into numerous dishes. Each of his flavor-packed sauces, salsas, pastes, rubs, stocks, syrups and doughs consists of fewer than seven ingredients, and each requires no more than 20 minutes to prepare. Guest include Martin Yan, Todd English, Jody Adams, Gordon Hamersley, Jasper White and others. 2004. Series release date: 2004
- Program Description
NOTE: Broadcast in Boston one week later than system airdate.
925: SHERMAY LEE & PERANAKAN COOKING Location: Singapore
Ming explores Peranakan cooking in Singapore with chef and cookbook author Shermay Lee whose cooking is living proof that grandmothers know best. Sharing with Ming her grandmother’s decades old recipe for a traditional dish, Shermay takes us, and Ming, on a culinary adventure. From finding ingredients in an outdoor market to using her family’s timeworn mortar and pestle, this episode highlights the culinary history and the exotic flavors found only in Singapore.
Recipes Shermay Lee's Ayam Pedas (Chicken and Long Beans in a Spicy Gravy) Shermay Lee's Ayam Pedas (Chicken and Long Beans served in a Spicy Gravy) Pork Stir-Fry with a Candlenut Spice
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Finkel, Hilary (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Simply Ming; Cooking on the Fly: Peranakan Cooking,” 01/17/2012, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 28, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E39B40D39BB2464C998C4D480ACD6D37.
- MLA: “Simply Ming; Cooking on the Fly: Peranakan Cooking.” 01/17/2012. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 28, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E39B40D39BB2464C998C4D480ACD6D37>.
- APA: Simply Ming; Cooking on the Fly: Peranakan Cooking. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E39B40D39BB2464C998C4D480ACD6D37