Ten O'Clock News; MacArthur Grants
Callie Crossley reports on three local recipients of the prestigious MacArthur Foundation Fellowships. Crossley notes that mathematician David Mumford, community organizer Muriel Snowden, and MIT professor Eric Lander are three of the thirty-two national winners of the Fellowships. Interview with Mumford about his work in mathematics. Crossley reviews Snowden's community activism. Interview with Snowden about her community work and her future plans. Crossley's interview includes photos of Snowden and footage of Snowden with colleagues. Interview with Lander about his work. mapping the generic patterns of certain hereditary diseases. Crossley's report includes footage of Lander and MIT graduate students in his laboratory.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Mumford, David, 1937-
- Role models
- Snowden, Muriel S. (Muriel Sutherland), 1916-
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Lander, Eric S.
- Boston (Mass.)
- Cambridge (Mass.)
- News Report
- Lander, Eric S. (Interviewee)
- Snowden, Muriel S. (Muriel Sutherland), 1916- (Interviewee)
- Mumford, David, 1937- (Interviewee)
- Crossley, Callie (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; MacArthur Grants,” 06/16/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 29, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DFC76AD16E5843D8B1CD05137E329DBA.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; MacArthur Grants.” 06/16/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 29, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DFC76AD16E5843D8B1CD05137E329DBA>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; MacArthur Grants. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DFC76AD16E5843D8B1CD05137E329DBA