Ten O'Clock News; African American Studies in college
Carmen Fields reports on differing opinions of the African American studies program at Harvard University. Interviews with Harvard professors Harvey Mansfield and Orlando Patterson. Mansfield says that conservative scholars are excluded from the African American studies program at Harvard. He adds that the program is too political and not concerned enough with the study of the African American experience. Mansfield calls African American studies an "advocacy major" which promotes a certain point of view. Patterson notes that many academic departments are too political. He adds that history and English departments also often teach history from only one perspective. Patterson says that African American studies offers an inter-disciplinary approach to the study of one area of life. Patterson discusses his concerns over the lack of African American scholars entering academia. Fields's report is accompanied by footage of the Harvard campus and footage of students in a class taught by Derrick Bell at the Harvard Law School.
- Ten O'Clock News
African American Studies in college
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American students
- Universities and colleges
- Harvard University
- African Americans -- Study and teaching
- Bell, Derrick A.
- Cambridge (Mass.)
- News Report
- Fields, Carmen (Reporter)
- Bell, Derrick A. (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; African American Studies in college,” 02/27/1991, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 19, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DE9FE1ED2D7C481A85ABA5AD4DB8ABF3.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; African American Studies in college.” 02/27/1991. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 19, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DE9FE1ED2D7C481A85ABA5AD4DB8ABF3>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; African American Studies in college. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DE9FE1ED2D7C481A85ABA5AD4DB8ABF3