This Emotional Life; Family, Friends and Lovers
GREEN LABEL MASTER Closed Captioned
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- This Emotional Life
- Family, Friends and Lovers
- Program Number
- Series Description
Shown in 3 parts from January 4-6, 2010.
This series is an exploration of human emotions; how and why our brains produce them, how they can become exaggerated or misdirected, and -- if they do -- what we can do to regain control. A blend of cutting-edge science, storytelling and practical advice, "This Emotional Life" puts the human psyche under the microscope like never before; exploring the intimate interplay between our emotions and our relationships; focusing on negative emotions like anger, fear, grief, and sadness; and finally, a subject dear to all our hearts -- discovering how we can all lead happier, emotionally healthier lives. While the series draws heavily on the new "science of emotions," at its heart will be human stories and reflections on the human condition. Hosted by Daniel Gilbert.
This Emotional Life is a Co-Production of the NOVA/WGBH Science Unit and Vulcan Productions, Inc. A Film by Kunhardt McGee Productions. ©/™ 2009 WGBH Educational Foundation and Vulcan Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Series release date: 1/4/2010
- Program Description
The first episode looks at the importance of relationships and why they are central to our emotional well-being. What are the cognitive and neurological processes underpinning our everyday interactions, and can they help us to understand why some relationships flourish and others fail? We meet a young boy adopted from a Russian orphanage, whose story illustrates how a lack of attachment in infancy fundamentally shapes his ability to build relationships for years to come. We meet the young parents of newborn twins; a couple in therapy for a troubled marriage; a teenager who was bullied with tragic consequences; two women grappling with the stress of workplace conflicts; and other characters - all to better understand the importance of social connections and relationships.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Apsell, Paula (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “This Emotional Life; Family, Friends and Lovers,” 11/16/2009, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 22, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DE62FFBA75664A42A1E283A262C539D6.
- MLA: “This Emotional Life; Family, Friends and Lovers.” 11/16/2009. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 22, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DE62FFBA75664A42A1E283A262C539D6>.
- APA: This Emotional Life; Family, Friends and Lovers. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DE62FFBA75664A42A1E283A262C539D6