American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Paul Finkelman, 3 of 5
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Finkelman talks about Boston - compare Brown to Cromwell, New England - Brown tough, people love him, Plan - open warfare more dramatic, needed, H. Ferry - delay, suicidal attack necessary, H. Ferry - suicidal attack necessary (short), Revolution - political process against freedom, South - no democracy, can't vote about slavery, Illegal activity - only way to attack slavery, Pottawatomie - makes sense, no democracy, Kansas - no peaceful method to end slavery, Martyr - tragedy is other men who died, From Nobody to a Hero
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with historian Paul Finkelman, 3 of 5
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Finkelman, Paul (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Paul Finkelman, 3 of 5,” 2000, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 16, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DDDBD38965B44722B32B9A3657FE4890.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Paul Finkelman, 3 of 5.” 2000. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 16, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DDDBD38965B44722B32B9A3657FE4890>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Paul Finkelman, 3 of 5. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DDDBD38965B44722B32B9A3657FE4890