Ten O'Clock News; Sen. Edward Kennedy on Health Security Plan proposal, Part 1
Interview with Sen. Edward Kennedy on his Health Security Plan proposal, especially in light of the new, more Democratic, Congress and White House in Washington. He is excited to work with Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale, and others, to come up with a comprehensive universal healthcare system. He describes the process that Congress will go through over the next year to find the most effective system. He compares his proposed system to the Social Security system. He talks about Medicare. He explains why he favors a health insurance system, which includes private companies, rather than a national health service. He talks about preventive medicine. He defends against claims that people would abuse the system. He hopes the American people will have access to the quality health care that members of Congress have access to for virtually free.
- Ten O'Clock News
Sen. Edward Kennedy on Health Security Plan proposal, Part 1
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Kennedy, Edward M. (Edward Moore), 1932-2009
- Medical care
- Federal government
- Carter, Jimmy, 1924-
- Bills, Legislative
- Social security -- United States
- Legislators -- United States
- Mondale, Walter F., 1928-
- Public health
- News Report
- Curwood, Steve (Reporter)
- Kennedy, Edward M. (Edward Moore), 1932-2009 (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Sen. Edward Kennedy on Health Security Plan proposal, Part 1,” 01/31/1977, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed March 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DDC02CEC3D1B41B3A5BDFF5EFFC3E0DE.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Sen. Edward Kennedy on Health Security Plan proposal, Part 1.” 01/31/1977. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. March 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DDC02CEC3D1B41B3A5BDFF5EFFC3E0DE>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Sen. Edward Kennedy on Health Security Plan proposal, Part 1. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DDC02CEC3D1B41B3A5BDFF5EFFC3E0DE