Flick Out; Odyssey Of Henry Miller, The
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at GBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- Flick Out
- Odyssey Of Henry Miller, The
- Series Description
Originally aired on May 22, 1968 as a four and a half hour marathon showcasing young filmmakers. Hosted by Standish Lawder, Yale University film professor, “Flick Out” gave viewers the chance to watch some of the most creative films being produced at that time. It included short documentaries, film essays, animated cartoons and full-length features that illuminated the art of film.
Beginning in July 1968, “Flickout” became a weekly half-hour series, produced by Henry Morgenthau, showing experimental films from both new, young filmmakers, and established craftsmen. Whenever possible Morgenthau interviews the filmmaker whose work is being shown. Series release date: 5/22/1968
- Program Description
A conversation with Henry Miller. The film was done over a two year period and is both biographical and philosophical. Since Miller insisted that the camera be as unobtrusive to him as possible, the result is spontaneity of a high order. Segments shown include some of Miller’s reminiscences of his early life, descriptions of Paris (including his paean to the Pissoir) and a conversation with Lawrence Durrell.
The film uses biographical clips, films of his haunts in France, and reminiscent conversations as well as discussions with friends to give a portrait of the man.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Film and Television
- Morgenthau III, Henry (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Flick Out; Odyssey Of Henry Miller, The,” 03/12/1970, GBH Archives, accessed January 15, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DCF3C2D501B848AFB17C596180E0BACA.
- MLA: “Flick Out; Odyssey Of Henry Miller, The.” 03/12/1970. GBH Archives. Web. January 15, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DCF3C2D501B848AFB17C596180E0BACA>.
- APA: Flick Out; Odyssey Of Henry Miller, The. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DCF3C2D501B848AFB17C596180E0BACA