Ten O'Clock News; Frank endorses King
State Senator Jack Backman opens a press conference in support of Mel King (Boston mayoral candidate) in front of the State House. Other participants include Byron Rushing (State Representative from the South End), Mary Jane Gibson (State Representative from Belmont), Susan Schur (State Representative from Newton), Mary Goode (former State Representative from Roxbury), and Barney Frank (US Congressman). Frank voices his support for King's candidacy and discusses the reasons for his endorsement, specifically, Frank talks about King's views on economic development and about his leadership abilities. Frank says that King is a creative leader who will bring "enlightened policy" to the city. Various reporters point out that Frank endorsed Dennis Kearney (candidate for mayor of Boston) in the primary elections. King arrives, shakes hands with Frank, thanks endorsers, and asserts that his administration will focus on employment, education, and the youth of the city.
- Ten O'Clock News
Frank endorses King
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Political campaigns
- King, Mel
- Rushing, Byron
- Press conferences
- State governments
- African American politicians
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Urban policy
- Frank, Barney, 1940-
- Massachusetts State House (Boston, Mass.)
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Frank, Barney, 1940- (Speaker)
- Rushing, Byron (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Frank endorses King,” 10/21/1983, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 19, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DC662FC2754146AABD276CB4A2009D6F.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Frank endorses King.” 10/21/1983. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 19, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DC662FC2754146AABD276CB4A2009D6F>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Frank endorses King. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DC662FC2754146AABD276CB4A2009D6F