Antiques VIII; EARLY KITCHENWARE
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Antiques VIII
- EARLY KITCHENWARE
- Program Number
- Series Description
Produced by New Hampshire Network out of WENH-TV in Durham, New Hampshire for distribution on the Eastern Educational Network (EEN). Series VIII was broadcast in 1973.
Antiques with host George Michael returns in full color with a new set, but with the same familiar attention to detail and precision in showing and giving the history of the pieces and collections featured. The new set features a period room that viewers will become familiar with over the 26 episode series.
George Michael was an antique dealer, collector, auctioneer, lecturer and author. His books include: “Antiquing With George Michael,” “The Treasury of New England Antiques,” and “Treasury of Federal Antiques.” Series release date: 1973
- Program Description
Mrs. Geraldine Kavanagh of Los Altos, California was raised in Connecticut to an awareness of early American History and the artifacts of the past. Living in California, she felt that school children missed a great deal by not having close ties with our early past. She set out to rectify the situation by sharing her growing collection of early American kitchenware with school children. In this program Mrs. Kavanagh and George Michael talk about early kitchenware from the collection of the Currier gallery in Manchester, new Hampshire. Included in the collection are two toasters, several plates and bowls made of wood, an early American hibachi, a flour sifter which operates with a circular brush rubbing against a screen in a wooden box, an early iron teakettle with a long, delicate extra “handle” for pouring while the kettle remains over the fire, an elaborate and decorative spit-turning mechanism and many small metal and wooden items which are difficult to find or even to identify today.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Antiques and Collectibles
- Hotaling, Al (Series Producer)
- New Hampshire Network (Series Producer)
- Michael, George (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Antiques VIII; EARLY KITCHENWARE,” 08/09/1973, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 21, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DBAF9629E52243F485B58860B29FC4C2.
- MLA: “Antiques VIII; EARLY KITCHENWARE.” 08/09/1973. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 21, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DBAF9629E52243F485B58860B29FC4C2>.
- APA: Antiques VIII; EARLY KITCHENWARE. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DBAF9629E52243F485B58860B29FC4C2