Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks for Schools and Libraries: Charles Simic
Part of New Television Workshop.
NTW 1999 Preservation Master
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Poetry Breaks
- Poetry Breaks for Schools and Libraries: Charles Simic
- Series Description
2-5 minute filler programs with New England area writers reading their poetry. Poets include Martin Espada, Galway Kinnell, Sharon Olds. Series release date: 1988
- Program Description
Simic introduces and reads his poems. Interspersed with the poems are questions that people might typically ask a poet. The following is a list of the poems and questions (questions are preceded by a “Q:”; for titleless poems, : “Stone” Q: Do you consider yourself an American poet? “Cameo Appearance” “Prodigy” Q: What is it like to be a poet? “My mother was...” “I was stolen...” “We were so poor...” Q: Where do your ideas come from? Q: How do you write? “What the Gypsies Told My Grandmother while She Was Still a Young Girl” “He had mixed up the characters...” “Once I knew, then I forgot...” Q: How do you begin a poem? Q: Do you show your work to anyone? “Little Unwritten Book” “Miracle Glass Co.” “Documentary” Q: When did you know you wanted to be a poet? “Mirrors at 4 A.M.” “The Clock of the Dead” Q: What is poetry?
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Oral interpretation of poetry
- Poetry reading
- Performance in a Studio
- Luchetti, Leita Hagemann (Producer)
- Simic, Charles, 1938- ()
- Chicago: “Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks for Schools and Libraries: Charles Simic,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 17, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DB5ED5DAAC3C4D4797909E0C91465D5B.
- MLA: “Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks for Schools and Libraries: Charles Simic.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 17, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DB5ED5DAAC3C4D4797909E0C91465D5B>.
- APA: Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks for Schools and Libraries: Charles Simic. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DB5ED5DAAC3C4D4797909E0C91465D5B