Ten O'Clock News; Procession Against Violence (reel 1)
Judy Stoia interviews James Kelly (South Boston Information Center) about resistance to busing and his decision not to attend the Procession Against Violence. Kelly says that he has appealed to African American parents to put pressure on the NAACP to stop busing. Kelly says that many African American parents agree that "forced busing is the problem." Following interview is silent footage of helicopter and security detail among rooftops of City Hall Plaza. A WGBH camera crew overlooks City Hall Plaza and records the Procession Against Violence. Thomas O'Neill, Jr. (Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts), Kitty Dukakis, Michael Dukakis (Governor of Massachusetts), Kathryn White, Kevin White (Mayor, City of Boston), Charles Barry (State Secretary of Public Safety), Dr. Charles Glenn (Massachusetts State Department of Education), Ann Landers (advice columnist), Joseph Kennedy, Edward Kennedy (US Senator), and Edward Brooke (US Senator) are among those at the front of the procession. Footage includes overhead shots of the crowd and audio of hecklers jeering at White and Kennedy. Reverend Robert Golledge and John Colburn address the crowd. Tape 1 of 3.
- Ten O'Clock News
Procession Against Violence (reel 1)
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007
- Busing for school integration
- O’Neill, Thomas P., 1944-
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Kennedy, Edward M. (Edward Moore), 1932-2009
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- White, Kevin H.
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Brooke, Edward William, 1919-
- Peace movements
- Kennedy, Joseph P. (Joseph Patrick), 1952-
- Dukakis, Kitty
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007 (Interviewee)
- Stoia, Judy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Procession Against Violence (reel 1),” 04/23/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 11, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DAC12223450D438EA389FD7009B0BEAF.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Procession Against Violence (reel 1).” 04/23/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 11, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DAC12223450D438EA389FD7009B0BEAF>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Procession Against Violence (reel 1). Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DAC12223450D438EA389FD7009B0BEAF