Ten O'Clock News; Tax levy for desegregation deficit
Mayor Kevin White exchanges banter with journalist, and goes on to deliver statement on increasing Boston property tax (one-time levy at $16.40) to finance the $27.5 million deficit caused by court ordered desegregation, at Judge Arthur Garrity's request. City treasurer Jim Young elaborates on choosing assessment method over borrowing. Mayor White takes questions from reporters. White accuses school committee of mismanagement in busing effort. He also comments that the teachers will have to work knowing they are in a debt situation.
- Ten O'Clock News
Tax levy for desegregation deficit
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Municipal government
- School boards
- White, Kevin H.
- School integration
- Garrity, W. Arthur (Wendell Arthur), 1920-1999
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- Boston (Mass.). City Council
- Busing for school integration
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- White, Kevin H. (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Tax levy for desegregation deficit,” 05/17/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 16, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DA9E9D32EE7A4D6A9E1BA481D2A8AB56.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Tax levy for desegregation deficit.” 05/17/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 16, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DA9E9D32EE7A4D6A9E1BA481D2A8AB56>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Tax levy for desegregation deficit. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DA9E9D32EE7A4D6A9E1BA481D2A8AB56