Ten O'Clock News; James Farmer
Marcus Jones reports that James Farmer (civil rights leader) spoke at Faneuil Hall during a ceremony to commemorate the death of Martin Luther King, Jr. (civil rights leader). Jones notes that Farmer was the head of the Congress for Racial Equality in the 1950s. Jones' report includes footage of Farmer addressing the audience at Faneuil Hall. Jones interviews Farmer about progress on civil rights issues in the US. Jones reports that Charles Yancey read a proclamation honoring King during the ceremony at Faneuil Hall. Jones' report is accompanied by footage of Yancey reading a proclamation at the ceremony and by footage of schoolchildren performing at the ceremony. Jones' report also includes footage of King during the civil rights movement. This tape includes additional footage from the ceremony at Faneuil Hall. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Jesse Jackson (Democratic candidate for US President) has released position papers, detailing his stance on domestic issues
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American politicians
- Rites and ceremonies
- Farmer, James, 1920-1999
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- African Americans -- Civil rights
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- School children
- Yancey, Charles C.
- Faneuil Hall (Boston, Mass.)
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Farmer, James, 1920-1999 (Interviewee)
- Yancey, Charles C. (Speaker)
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; James Farmer,” 04/04/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 26, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D87C21D9B2A64A838673D58CEB488021.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; James Farmer.” 04/04/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 26, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D87C21D9B2A64A838673D58CEB488021>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; James Farmer. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D87C21D9B2A64A838673D58CEB488021