Ten O'Clock News; Cry Freedom, Donald Woods, Steve Biko
Christopher Lydon reports on the release of the film Cry Freedom, based on the life of Steve Biko (martyred black South African leader). Lydon notes that the film is told from the perspective of Donald Woods (white newspaper editor). Lydon interviews Woods about apartheid and his relationship with Biko. Woods says that the black opposition in South Africa was forced to become violent in response to the brutal tactics of the white regime. Woods talks about his early opposition to Biko and the black movement; he says that he changed his opinion when he realized that Biko's positive message of black self-reliance was not anti-white. Lydon notes that Biko was killed in prison while Woods was exiled from South Africa. Lydon's report is accompanied by footage from the film and from the trailer of the film Cry Freedom. Editor's note: Additional footage from the film and the trailer of the film Cry Freedom, were edited out of the end of the tape.
- Ten O'Clock News
Cry Freedom, Donald Woods, Steve Biko
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Woods, Donald, 1933-
- Anti-apartheid movements
- Biko, Steve, 1946-1977
- Motion pictures
- Cry freedom
- News Report
- Lydon, Christopher (Reporter)
- Woods, Donald, 1933- (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Cry Freedom, Donald Woods, Steve Biko,” 11/06/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 21, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D788C94E6C50410ABFBCAD9C3BE25141.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Cry Freedom, Donald Woods, Steve Biko.” 11/06/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 21, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D788C94E6C50410ABFBCAD9C3BE25141>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Cry Freedom, Donald Woods, Steve Biko. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D788C94E6C50410ABFBCAD9C3BE25141